Friday, November 12, 2010

Sunday Brunch Buffet at Chatuchak Cafe, Sofitel Centara Grand



Wow! It seems like it has been forever since I have posted up a tasty review. I have been caught up in piles of work and haven't had the time to treat myself to a nice buffet. In fact, I'm not even in Bangkok right now but I made sure I ate a truckload of buffets so I can review them when I have free time.

Today will be a review for Sunday Brunch Buffet at the Chatuchak Cafe, Sofitel Centara Grand. I remember walking around Central Ladprao since I was a child, and every time I went back, it always brought back memories (Since the place was never renovated and looked the same after 10 years). However, Sofitel Centara Grand, which is connected to the shopping center, recently went through renovation. I have eaten here before, and was very disappointed at the spread and general quality of the food, however much of that has changed.

I parked my car and walked through the hotel, noticing that renovation was still undergoing. The entire layout and structure of the buffet has changed, including seating. There are 3 main islands that hold the starters and cold food, hot foods and finally the desserts. The staff was extremely friendly and you could see most of the food being made by the chefs behind the counters.


Entrance to the Buffet

There was plenty of seafood available, including oysters, prawns and bits and pieces of lobster. The appetizer variety was quite small and the sushi bar was limited, no smoked salmon available and very few cold cuts. However the taste of the food was decent for the price we were paying.

Cold Seafood


Sushi and Sashimi

I enjoyed the lamb, beef and rock lobster since it was repeatedly made fresh by the chefs. The food was replenished quickly when it ran out. There was dimsum as well as thai dishes such as curry and sticky rice with beef, springrolls and a noodle station. 

Our Friendly Chef

Sample of Rock Lobster, Duck, Fish and Grilled Prawns

Roasted Lamb, Prawn Kebab, Grilled Salmon

After filling myself up (Which took quite some time) I moved on to the desserts. There was a few flavors of ice creams available, fruits, Thai desserts and of course cakes and tarts. As always though, I wasn't impressed by what was available. I have yet to find a buffet with fantastic desserts, so may be it's just me? If you happen to know where I can enjoy a nice chocolate cake similar to the ones available in Boulangeries in Europe, let me know!
The Chocolate Fountain

Variaty of Cakes 

Overall I would say the buffet at Chatukchuk Cafe was average at best Although it certainly improved, it still has a long way to go to making it in the top 10 buffets in Bangkok. Would I come here again? Probably not, I still have plenty of calories to consume elsewhere. But if you live around the area and want a buffet for a decent price, might as well drop in and try it yourself. The total bill per person for Sunday Brunch was hovering around 1200 with 50% Before Discount for Accor Card Members. 

----------------------------
Chatukchak Cafe, Sofitel Centara Grand (3/5) BBB
(http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-3432-sofitel-centara-grand-bangkok/restaurant.shtml)


1 comment:

  1. heard that Sofitel Centara Grand also made use of the hotel roof, put a Blue Sky there, wanna try one night .. :-)

    ReplyDelete